Saturday, August 27, 2011

Taos Here We Come

Well we are heading back out to Taos the week after/of labor day. We will be taking some more photos, cutting the driveway into the property, leveling off a flat spot on the west side of the driveway for a shed/cabin and maybe, digging the holes for the rubble foundation. If I can get the foundation dug, I will be planning to fill with gravel. I have spoken to other contractors and builders in the area and due to the dryness of the climate, I won't need a drain tile in the bottom of the trech. Then, next year, I can place the cinder block grade beam and start setting adobes.

The cabin will be 8x12 on the inside, with the 8' side facing south and the 12' side facing east. The 8' side will have large windows to let the heat / sun in for passive solar heat. We will most likely use an earthen floor. I am still unsure on whether I will heat this via radiant floor heat or whether I will remove that for this small cabin, and simply heat with a ventless propane heater. I guess I have until next year to figure that out.

The other major item needing done with this trip, is for us to determine where true-south really is in comparison to the property lines. This will allow me to orient the buildings on the plot drawings.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment