Sunday, August 28, 2011

Solar Wiring Diagram

I have created a small solar generator. It consists of 3 12v DC deep cycle batteries (90ah each), a 7 amp, 12 v charge controller and 3 15 watt solar panels.

Here are a few things to note. Amp hours denote the amps you can discharge a battery over 20 hours, before you have to charge it. To figure out this out, you divide the amp hours by 20. For instance, a 100 amp hour battery can discharge 5 amps for 20 hours prior to requiring a recharge (20 * 5 = 100). In my case, I have 90ah batteries, so it would be 4.5 amps for 20 hrs. The other thing to remember is, if batteries are in parrallel (negative to negative and positive to positive as shown in diagram) then the amp hours are additive and voltage is constant (12 v, not 36). So in my case, with 3 90ah batteries, I have 270amp hours @ 12v dc, available or 13.5 amps for 20 hours. Unfortunately, I only replace 45 watts of power, so I will probably run out at some point as I need a larger charging system (depending on what I draw off). Since this is only used for a few days a month, this should be fine however. It cost me $500.

A couple points. Since I have a 3000 watt invertor (it can draw up to 30 amps), it is important that the wires used between the batteries themselves, as well as between the batteries and the inverter, are large. In my case I use 2 gauge to the invertor and 00 between the batteries. This will eliminate and voltage sag and ensure that my invertor can function with a large draw. I can successfully start and run a full size normal refridgerator with this system, as well as run a 2hp Bostich air compressor to over 120psi. This will be the system I take to and from Taos, until I have my cabin built. Once built, this system will stay there and be the power system for the cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment