Friday, August 9, 2013

Temporary Housing - How about a Yurt

So we have decided to try to place a Yurt on our property as a temporary residence. The plan will still be similiar, completely off-grid, with an passive solar adobe at this pt, probably 1 to 2 bedroom. I initially priced out a deck for the Yurt. I was going to ensure it was insulated etc, I followed the plans provided on many Yurt building sites on the internet and me, doing it myself, ran about $3k.

After thinking about this more I thought what good would a wood deck do in the desert, 10 years from now when I take the Yurt down. So, I decided to pour a slab for the Yurt, with radiant heat, and then I can place Adobe on this slab after the Yurt is broke down :).

The process started this past 4th of July. I placed a 400' driveway, 250 gallon cister and an outhouse. I am going back out during  Labor Day week and pouring a monolithic slab. I will be posting a few pictures of progress over the next few days.


No comments:

Post a Comment